Monday, September 11, 2006

Lincoln's Tomb


A while back, I promised to post some more photos from our summer trip to Springfield and Chicago, Illinois. This is a photo of a bust of Abraham Lincoln that sits outside the entrance to his tomb. Abraham Lincoln has always been a hero of mine. I consider him, along with George Washington to be the one of the greatest presidents in U.S. history.

On our way to Chicago we spent some time in Springfield to see some of the Lincoln sights. Primarily we wanted to visit the new Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum. What an amazing and moving place. If you're anywhere within driving distance, I highly recommend a visit. It's as good as anything I've ever seen at the Smithsonian.

Thinking about Mr. Lincoln on this day in particular makes me appreciate his personal sacrifices all the more and inspires me to believe that any personal sacrifice I can make for my country is the right thing to do.

By the way, the reason the nose of the statue is shiny is due to the many visitors who touch it for good luck.

0 comments: